As most of you know, Nicole was in India last month and to our surprise, she brought back some yummy spices for us to try! The spices she brought back were coconut curry, lemon pepper, and dal… for this recipe we only used dal 🙂
Indian Dal is a term that refers to legumes (lentils, peas, or various types of beans) that have been split. The word Dal is used to name the thick stew that is prepared from the legumes.
This spice that she used for this dish was from India, it can be replicated by mixing different spices together: Onion, Turmeric, Cumin Toasted, Black Salt, Garlic, Chili, Coriander, Ginger, Tamarind Instant, Fenugreek, Black Pepper, Bay Leaves.
- 2 cups red lentils (soaked)
- 3 cups water
- Water (a few splashes to cook your veggies in)
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp Indian Dal seasoning
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Start cooking the lentils by combining water and red lentils together. Bring that to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 15-17 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- While the lentils are cooking, chop up the onion and add to a pan to start sautéing in. Cook for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add Garlic and Dal spice, cook for 1 minute
- Combine onions, garlic, spices, and red lentils. Lastly, squeeze the juice from ½ lemon and serve right away. Enjoy!