Quinoa Zoodles Bowl
Quinoa Zoodles Bowl
When we think about eating hummus, our go-to that usually comes to mind is just with veggies! Hummus is so delicious as dressing on a salad or used as a dip for raw/cooked vegetables. This week we’re going to use hummus with quinoa! There are different types of quinoa: white, red and black. White quinoa is most widely available in stores, this is what we used here today. Red quinoa is more often used for salads because it tends to hold its shape better after cooking and black quinoa has more of an "earthier and sweeter" taste to it. As always, you will want to purchase quinoa that is already sprouted, but you can always sprout it your self by soaking it in water overnight (for at least 24 hours) and then draining. You will want to make sure you rinse them very well.
For the zoodles, we used zucchini and beets. We spiralized them ourselves, but you can always buy them pre-packaged :)
- 5-6 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- Veggie Broth (to sauté veggies in)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water (to boil the quinoa in)
- Oil-Free Hummus recipe
- 4 Zucchini Spiralized
- 1 Beet Spiralized
- 1 Avocado
- Cilantro to taste (optional to top)
- Bring water and quinoa to a boil. Once you see it start boiling reduce it to a simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until quinoa has absorbed all of the water.
- While the quinoa is cooking, start sautéing onions in veggie broth for about 5 minutes and then add garlic! Cook for another 5 minutes. You will want to just eyeball the amount of veggie broth, start off with about 2-3 tablespoons and keep adding when you see it's all absorbed so it doesn't burn. You will have to stir it more often than you would if you were cooking with oil. Add more as needed :)
- Make your hummus while the onions and garlic are cooking.
- Once your quinoa is cooked combine with onions and garlic.
- The last step is to make your zoodle bowl! We put quinoa first, then added our zoodles and topped it with avocado and cilantro :) Enjoy!
**Optional Nutritional Yeast or Hot Sauce!
These are a couple of the brands that we like to use for Cooking Day.