Have you ever tried savory oatmeal before? This week's cooking class consisted of beautiful greens and veggies from the farmers market, Nicole's famous vegan cheese sauce
, and a savory twist with delicious vegetables and spices added to steel cut oats. In class, we added the cheese sauce into the steel cut oats and it was delicious! Check out the recipe below:
-1 cup gluten-free steel cut oats
-3 cups water
-3 cups button mushrooms
-1 large white onion
- 4 bell peppers
-1 head kale
-2 tablespoon oregano, paprika, thyme, rosemary
- Add water into a large pan and bring to a boil.
- Add oatmeal, allow it to come back to a boil and then reduce heat, cook for 15-20 minutes, or to desired softness.
- While oatmeal is cooking, cut up peppers, onions, and mushrooms.
- Add only the onions and mushrooms into a separate pan and saute in vegetable broth over medium-high heat for about 15-18 minutes, or until cooked. Stir frequently, and add more broth as needed.
- Once your onions and mushrooms are cooked you can add that into the oatmeal.
- Cook peppers over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes in vegetable broth.
- Add peppers into oatmeal.
- Cut kale up and steam over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add kale into oatmeal.
- Add oregano, paprika, thyme, and rosemary to taste.
Nicole likes to buy all of her veggies from the farmers market when it is the right time of year. This cooking day she was able to buy a plethora of leafy green vegetables, peppers, onions, mushrooms and other great miscellaneous items! Remember, buying local is best and organic is next best. You can always talk to the farmers who grew the food at the farmers market to see how their food was grown also :)