Quinoa Veggie Burger
Quinoa Veggie Burgers
Gluten Free / Dairy Free / Vegan
- 1 cup quinoa (soaked for 6-8 hours, or overnight)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup veggie broth (low sodium)
- ½ head cauliflower, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 tbsp. finely ground flaxseed (to make a flax egg)
- Handful of cilantro
-1 tsp. cumin, and coriander
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (add more if you like spicy)
*You can use any three vegetables with this recipe, like sweet potatoes, or celery.
- Heat 1 cup quinoa in 2 cups water. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes. You will know quinoa is done when the band around it lifts up into a little tail.
- Chop four cloves garlic, and let sit for 10 minutes. *Letting garlic sit for 10 minutes before cooking preserves the allicin that is the anti-inflammatory component of garlic.
- Heat a separate pan with a thin layer of veggie broth on low-medium, and add chopped onions. Cook for about 5 minutes. After garlic is done sitting add garlic to the onions, and turn down to low. Stir frequently, and add veggie broth as needed to keep the bottom of the pan from sticking. Cook for another 10 minutes or until onions are carmelized.
- Add cauliflower, spices, red peppers and carrots into a food processor and lightly pulse to create the texure of rice. Place in a large bowl (you may have to do this in batches).
- Add onion garlic mixture, garbanzo beans, and quinoa into the food processor and pulse. Again, you may have to do this in batches. Add to the bowl of veggies and spices.
- To make the flax egg for binding the mixture, add flaxseed and 2 tbsp. of water to a small bowl. (When you make a flax egg you need 1 part flaxseed, and 2 parts water.) Stir with a fork or spoon, then let sit for a few minutes until it thickens. Then add to the bowl with chopped veggies, and mix in.
- Once the combination of veggies, garbanzo beans, spices, ground flax, onions, garlic, and quinoa is mixed, scoop out portions and shape into a patty. You can make them any size, but we made them about 2.5 inches across in diameter, and about 3/4 inches thick.
- Pre-heat oven to 375F.
- Place patty's in the fridge for 30-60 minutes. Cooling them down helps them to stick together better.
- Place patty's on a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake at 375F for 20 minutes (flipping half way through).
« Back to Blog